Family!
It's P-Day and wow, this week seems to have flown by. Thanks again for all your emails and it sounds like you are all doing great and I am so glad to hear your cough is going away Mum. So, a trio companionship is interesting and filled with a lot of fun - sometimes it just seems like we are having a sleepover every night. This week has been a little crazy! Middleton is a great place and we are still getting use to our area as we cover four Wards and some of the Wards are in the country and some in the city. We are kept busy finding addresses of different families.
So, a recap of the week. Tuesday, after I emailed you, Sister Watson needed to purchase some gluten free food because her bag of gluten free food that she bought with her got lost during transfer. We went to the store and as I was watching the checkout total of her groceries adding up, I cringed on the inside because of how much it was going to cost her. But, just when she was about to pay, a member walked up and said, "Sisters wait, let me pay for this!" and she paid the whole bill for Sister Watson. What a blessing! We walked out of their feeling so grateful for that person and that experience. We went home, dropped off the food, had lunch and then just as we were about to go to our appointment, Sister King asked if we could turn around and quickly check our mailbox. As Sister Watson turned the car around we slid off the side of the road into the soft sand/dirt/ ditch area and our tyres sank right into the sand and wouldn't move. We got out of the car and another car pulled up behind us and offered to tow us out but because our car is so new (2012 Chevy Malibu) it didn't have a tow bar so he couldn't use his truck to pull us out. We called the mission office and they gave us a number to call a tow truck company to have them come and pull out the car. An hour later Sister King starts running around like crazy because she is allergic to bees and they kept chasing her. In the midst of Sister King trying to escape from the bees, the local Sheriff pulls up beside us and is like, "What is happening here?" Seriously, we are feeling a little awkward at this point because their is nothing we can do, so we just tell him what happened and that we are waiting for a tow truck. We are about 2 miles from any form of civilization so our phone reception kept dropping out on us and it turns out that the Sheriff was sent to find us because the tow truck company couldn't reach us on our cellphone. Finally, they arrived, pulled our car out of the sand embankment and we left to do some missionary work. Experience number 1!!! It has been a bit slow for us in trying to find people home and getting into a regular routine with teaching but I know it will come. We were able to set up a few appointments and meet a Ward Mission Leader tonight before heading home.
Wednesday we were off to try and find a lady by the name of Mary and we were driving up and down her street but could not see her address so rather then waste any more time, we decided to do some tracting/distributing of flyers. The flyers are to invite people to a ward BBQ on Saturday and we were asked to distribute them around town which we did. Then we went to have lunch at the Church building because we had a packed lunch with us, only to find that their was a funeral on so we drove all the way home, had lunch, then went and helped a lady clean her house. It's a little sad because this lady thinks she hasn't got long to live so she is trying to get rid of unnessecary things in her house. Following our little act of service, we visited a few recent convert families to learn of their progress and then we had dinner with a Ward Mission Leader from a different Ward and did some correlating with him. That night when we got home, we were walking into the house and the cats got in. The people we live with have 3 cats and they aren't allowed inside the house because Sister King is allergic to cats. So, poor Sister King doesn't want to have anything to do with cats and because I was the one who let the cats get in, Sister Watson and I are both running around the house looking for these creatures. We ended up trapping two of them in the basement and closed the doors behind us. The last cat we just could not find and by this time I am sick of these cats. As we get to the top of the stairs from the basement, I try the door handle and the door is locked. I turned around and looked at Sister Watson and said, "I think we're locked in the basement?" The worse part is that we had left the phone and keys and everything upstairs because we dropped it all as we ran after the cats. Seriously, this week has been strange and to make matters worse, I started having flash backs of bad horror movies that I'd seen about people being locked in their basements. You just have to laugh! We found a door that lead to a garden and were able to get out of the basement and as we are going in the front door, we pick up our stuff and Sister Watson spots the last cat so we get him out and then its bed time. Experience number 2!!!
Thursday was a good day. We spent the morning working on our weekly planning and then visited some of our investigators. We have a lady by the name of Esther who allows the missionaries to help clean her house so we did that and then we went to help our Ward Mission Leader prepare for the Temple Open House. Only 5 more weeks until Open House and the Stake President has asked our Stake to make sure everyone in the Stake boundary is invited twice to the Temple Open House, so we have a lot of invitations to give out over the next 5 weeks. I am excited because this area does not have a lot of teaching going on, so through the open house we will be able to get more work. That night we had dinner, and then we had Family Home Evening with a recent convert family, then we met with Lariann. Lariann is getting baptized on September 22nd and she is awesome. We were teaching the ten commandments to her and she shared her testimony about church attendance and how important it is and how her week was horrible because she knew it was due to her not going to church. Pretty cool. As we drove home and walked into our house, I said to my companion's that I was so glad today has been normal. We decide to feed the horse before going inside the house and Sister Watson slipped down a pile of rocks and scraped her leg real bad. Jinx much!!!
Friday was District meeting and it was a little awkward because I think our poor Elders feel a little intimidated by sister missionaries. Poor guys, we will help them to see that we aren't scary and make them our friends by the end of the transfer. Then we tracted and handed out the rest of the flyers for the BBQ. We were pretty wasted after handing out flyers and invitations for two hours then we were off to organize more things for the Open House, had dinner, then a lady drove us to Meridian so I could go to the Sagers wedding. We got lost on our way to dinner which meant we were running late so when we got to the ladies house who was taking us to Meridian, I was praying the whole time in the car that I wouldn't miss the wedding. We get to the chapel and the doors are locked on the side we were dropped off, so we quickly ran through the bushes to the other side of the building just in time to see that the bride was about to walk into the room so they see me, laugh, stop walking, and one of the groomsmen opens the door and lets us in. We ran in, sat down and the wedding party continued. The Lord answered our prayers and it was a cute wedding. It was also cool to see Sister Bishaw again.
Saturday we had the BBQ and while we were there Sister King looked like she was going to pass out so we had to take her home to rest. Once she was feeling better we went out again and did some work and correlated with a few of the Ward Mission Leaders. After dinner we organized lists of people's names for the Temple Open House. It is pretty much our focus this transfer. We headed home early because Sister King still wasn't feeling too well.
On Sunday Sister King still wasn't well but we managed to make it to our 1:00 p.m. Ward which was awesome because Lariann shared her testimony of how she knows the church is true. In her testimony she mentioned how she was talking to her mum about Moses and the 10 commandments and realized that the LDS church believed in Moses and the 10 commandments and because of that then Joseph Smith was given the gold plates and that helped her know that Joseph Smith was a true prophet. She is so ready for baptism. The rest of the evening was productive in that we managed to find all the addresses of everyone that we couldn't find during the week and we were able to set up a lot of appointments. We headed home and sadly, that night - the Wilcher Family (the people we live with) had their two year old grand daughter stay the night and she was in the room right next door to us and the poor little thing was sick all night so the whole household didn't get much sleep. Can I just say how happy I am that it is P-Day today because I/we got to catch up on our sleep! Poor little girl though, it reminded me of Hinalei and when she would get sick.
Well, thats a recap of my week - a little crazy and I am excited to get into a routine to go back to teaching and baptizing people. I know that we need to place an emphasis on the open house because that alone will bring baptisms. We just have to be patient and I know we are meant to be here in Middleton. I hope you are all doing well. Bytheway, Sister Watson can't have gluten or wheat foods and I can't have dairy so when we have dinner appointments we have to let the families know of our allergies and the poor families start wondering what they can feed us. For the past week we have had chicken and rice. No joke. Every night someone has fed us chicken and rice! I'm not complaining because I am so grateful for food. But we do need to think more on what meals people can feed us so we aren't eating chicken and rice for 6 weeks. A trio definitely brings its own challenges but I am enjoying it and not letting anything worry me (my new motto). I'm determined not to stress too much this transfer because it can't be healthy, so I'm making the most of being in Middleton. It is a little strange being back in the country and as far as shopping goes, yeah don't worry about shopping, because apart from the dollar store here, thats about it. Hope you like the pictures. Love you family and take care. Sister Chadderton xoxo
5339 - Our car not going anywhere soon.
5341 - My companions. R-L Me, Sister Watson from Arizona and Sister King from Georgia
5342 - Me and our stuck car
5343 - What else do you do when your waiting for a tow truck? Take pictures with Book of Mormon's
5347 - At the wedding with Sister Sager - the bride!





No comments:
Post a Comment